The Römerturm Tower

As a watchtower it belonged to the city fortification

The so-called “Römerturm”, erected in circa 1360, is older than the Munot, which was built from 1564 onwards. As a watchtower, it was part of the medieval city defences. The tower’s tall slender form and narrow window slits are typical of fortifications at that time.

Originally it had a wooden betrèche or battrice at the top. At that time, it was still open at the rear. This was to save on construction materials and also to give the archers on the platforms more space to move about with better lighting. In the early 15th century, the rear was walled up and the battrice was removed.

The city wall (east flanking wall) adjoining the tower originally had a battlement with a wooden alure. In the first third of the 17th century, the crenels were replaced by narrow gun-loops and a new alure supported by masonry stone arches was erected.

Plan of the Römerturm tower with construction phases in different shades of orange.

Construction of the Römerturm tower around 1360

Modification Alterations in the early 15 th century

Modification Alterations in the first third of the 17 th century

Proposed reconstruction:
a | 14th century appearance of the Römerturm tower with brattice, open gorge and assumed earlier alure
b | The Römerturm tower with the walled-up rear and a new alure resting on masonry arches in the 17th century