The Munot shall be built!

From the Munotzinne the eye sweeps over the roofs

Today the Munot appears like it has always been one building. However, during the 25 years of construction it underwent several fundamental changes. Initially its rectangular predecessor, the Annot, was to be supplemented with a large circular building and open courtyard. The first major change between 1571 and 1573 saw the old Annot replaced by a round tower. From 1578/79 the inner courtyard was covered with a vaulted ceiling.

The massive vault, which rests on nine pillars is approximately 6 metres thick and was meant to protect the city against exploding shells and incendiary grenades. However, not long after its completion, major structural problems were discovered. The vault had to be supported by two additional walls (g).

The theory that the Munot was built to plans drawn up by Albrecht Dürer (1471–1528), which can still be found in some publications, is now considered obsolete.

Ground-plan of the Munot:
a | round tower
b | casemate
c | caponiers
d | north entrance
e | south entrance
f | embrasures
g | measures to secure the vaulted ceiling

Suggested reconstructions of Munot planning and construction stages:
1 | First building plan: the rectangular Annot with an open roundel (hypothetical).
2 | The Munot in its original state of construction with battlements, circa 1600.