Monument and landmark
The Munot had lost its defensive use
In the 19 th century, the Munot had lost its defensive use and was left to decay. At times it was even used as a quarry. Schaffhausen resident Johann Jakob Beck (1786–1868) recognized the value of the decaying Munot and was able to save it from destruction with the help of the Munot Association (founded in 1839).
Together with the city authorities of Schaffhausen, the Munot association is still tasked with maintaining, running and protecting the city’s landmark.
The upkeep of historical buildings is always an interesting undertaking. Any interventions must be carefully thought out. On the one hand, the building ought to remain functional and defy the ravages of time for as long as possible, while on the other, its character and the evidence of its eventful history should be retained.
Bild: Stadtarchiv Schaffhausen, J 02.05.13/007
The advancing decay of the Munot is clearly visible in this picture by Johann Friedrich Wagner from 1840.
Foto: ARCHE BAU BATTEL GmbH
The materials used in restorations should resemble the original materials as closely as possible. Modern materials can be problematic, for instance if they are too hard. Restoration work on the Munot, 2015.