Schaffhausen greatly expanded its fortifications
In response to the emergence of firearms, Schaffhausen greatly expanded its fortifications in the 15 th century. The Annot, the predecessor to the Munot, and its walls were reinforced with outer wards and outer walls. These were later adopted in the construction of the Munot (1564–1589).
The outer ward was an enclosure that ran parallel to the city wall, was backfilled with soil and fortified with semi-circular towers projecting out at regular intervals like the example that survives here.
Defenders used sandstone stairs (now reconstructed) to get to the area at the base of the tower to attack the advancing enemy from that side. Originally, another defensive platform was located at the top of the tower.
Museum zu Allerheiligen Schaffhausen, Inv. C4616
The view of the city by Johann Jakob Mentzinger (1644) clearly shows the ward outside the flanking wall. The surviving open-gorged tower is marked in orange. The majority of the city’s fortifications were demolished in the 19th century.
a | west flanking wall with alure, b | outer wall, c | open-gorged tower
The semi-circular open-gorged tower originally had three upright slit windows (arrow slits or loop-holes for archers or crossbowmen), which were later replaced by two smaller gun-loops. The back wall of the tower was probably left open initially and was perhaps closed off at a later date. Proposed reconstruction.